The Ashwagandha plant has been applied safely in ayurvedic medicine for hundreds or thousands of years, even on a daily basis as a so-called “Rasayana” (rejuvenating substance) to increase fertility, as an aphrodisiac, as an adaptogen and also for general health maintenance. It is said to give you the power of a horse. For several reasons, we included it in our product, an organic (Bio) certified ashwagandha extract patented under the name Sensoril®. Numerous human clinical studies demonstrated its efficacy, and it was developed by the world famous researcher-physician professor Dr Shibnath Ghosal (an Ayurvedic medicine specialist) and his team. They use a traditional extraction technique, using only clear water, which is the most appropriate methodology according to modern scientific studies. Unlike other ashwagandha extracts, this method uses not only the root of the plant but also its leaves, thus its active substance composition is more complex (e.g. it also contains special oligosaccharides), and it has significantly better absorbance. At the same time, it contains practically none of the undesirable withaferin alkaloid.
Effects of ashwagandha confirmed by human clinical studies
Improved intellectual performance, enhanced daytime vigilance
In a recent study in 2014, it was demonstrated that taking 2×250 mg Sensoril® Ashwagandha extract every day improves intellectual capabilities more than Panax ginseng. It even enhances cognitive functions in bipolar disorder. Reducing stress and daytime fatigue, normalizing blood pressure, achieving restful sleep
In another study in 2008, Sensoril® Ashwagandha extract was confirmed to reduce stress, combat acute daily fatigue, whilst ameliorating sleeping difficulty. It also decreased the level of the stress hormone called cortisol by 30%. A daily dose of 1×125mg is already effective, but 2×250mg proved to be even more effective. It also helped to counterbalance the effects of stress on blood pressure. Daily 250mg Sensoril® resulted in a 68% improvement in people suffering from sleeping difficulties.
Improving sports performance and increasing muscle power/size
During trials and observations on male participants, the taking of the Ashwagandha extract improved performance significantly during sprints and increased the muscle power, muscle size and testosterone levels of the men receiving ashwagandha extract. It was noted that when doing bodybuilding exercises the extract recipients performance increased significantly more than that of the placebo group.
Increasing weight loss resulting from physical activity
During the previously mentioned study, it was also observed that while the group receiving ashwagandha extract gained more muscle, the members of that group lost larger amounts of fat than the members of the placebo group.
Increasing muscle weight and significantly increasing fitness levels, tone and physique at the same time? The dream of every bodybuilder and athlete...
Increasing fertility and testosterone levels in men
Compared to the placebo group, the number of sperm cells increased by 167%, sperm motility by 57%, ejaculate volume by 53%, the amount of luteinizing hormone by 36% and testosterone level by 17% in the group taking ashwagandha extract. All of these happened in 90 days.
Improving thyroid hypofunction
It is also proved to improve thyroid function. Patients suffering from thyroid hypofunction and receiving ashwagandha extract increased levels of T4, while their TSH level decreased, thus everything changed in a favourable direction. Meanwhile, these values got worse in the placebo group.
Supporting the female reproductive organs
Many ayurvedic preparations aiming at rejuvenating the female hormonal system contain ashwagandha as their main ingredient. Some of these are already confirmed to be effective in human clinical trials: one of the tested ashwagandha preparations eased the symptoms of menopause, while another was found effective in treating PCOS.
Pain tolerance and reduction
Another human clinical study using Sensoril® Ashwagandha extract demonstrated its ability to reduce pain. Participants who received Sensoril® had remarkably better pain tolerance than the placebo group. This can be promising for patients suffering from chronic pain, as it can be used in the long term, and in contrast with other analgesic drugs, it does not have any side effects (or rather only beneficial “side effects”).
Other effects not yet confirmed by human clinical studies (effects demonstrated only in vitro and animal studies or observed during traditional application)
It is traditionally used during breastfeeding to enhance the nutritional value of breast milk (mothers consume it, thus increasing the nutritional value of their milk), and older women use it to maintain their youth. It is also used for skin problems and numerous other conditions.
It might be useful against bacterial, viral and fungal infections as well. It has anti-inflammatory and immune boosting effects at the same time. It might be effective against certain parasites. Also, it may have anti-tumour effects, which are being researched...
It is almost easier to list what it is not good for. Its multi-faceted effects result from its adaptogen characteristics, meaning that it helps to keep the fine balance of the body, no matter in which direction this balance is tipped (e.g. in case of hypertension, an adaptogen substance lowers blood pressure values, while it increases them in case of low blood pressure).
For whom do we recommend it?
For people who do hard intellectual or physical work.
For everyone during stressed periods, and for those suffering from disturbed sleep or chronic fatigue and for anyone who wants to have a boost of energy.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE.
If you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating, please consult your medical practitioner before introducing supplementary foods to your normal routine. The dietary supplement should not be used as a substitute for a varied and balanced diet or a healthy lifestyle. Store tightly closed in a cool and dry place.
- Effects of standardized aqueous extract of Withania somnifera on tests of cognitive and psychomotor performance in healthy human participants. Usharani Pingali, Raveendranath Pilli, Nishat Fatima. Pharmacognosy Research, January‐March 2014, Vol. 6, Issue 1, pp. 12‐18
- Karnick CR. A double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical studies on the effects of Withania somnifera and Panax Ginseng Extracts on psychomotor performance in healthy Indian volunteers. Indian Med. 1991;3:1–
- Randomized, placebo‐controlled adjunctive study of an extract of Withania somniferafor cognitive dysfunction in bipolar disorder. K.N.Roy Chengappa, Christopher Bowie, Patricia Schlicht, David Fleet, Jaspreet Brar, Ripu Jindal. J Clin Psychiatry, 74:11, November 2013, pp.1076‐1083.
- A standardized Withania somnifera extract reduces stress related parameters in chronically stressed humans – a double‐blind,randomized, placebo‐controlled study. Biswajit Auddy, Jayaram Hazara, Achintya Mitra, Bruce Abedon, Shibnath Ghosal. JANA, Vol. II, No. I, 2008, pp. 50‐56.
- Effect of Withania somnifera extract on mental stress induced changes in hemodynamic properties and arterial wave reflections in healthy subjects. Usharani Pingali, Raveendranath Pilli, Nishat Fatima. Current Topics in Nutraceutical research, Vol. 11, No. 4, pp. 151‐158, 2013.
- Unpublished study, 2005. Nutrigenesis
- Wankhede et al. Examining the effect of Withania somnifera supplementation on muscle strength and recovery: a randomized controlled trial. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015 Nov 25;12:43. doi: 10.1186/s12970-015-0104-9. ECollection 2015.
- Sandhu et al. Effects of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) and Terminalia arjuna (Arjuna) on physical performance and cardiorespiratory endurance in healthy young adults. Int J Ayurveda Res. 2010 Jul;1(3):144-9. Doi: 10.4103/0974-7788.72485.
- Ambiye et al. Clinical Evaluation of the Spermatogenic Activity of the Root Extract of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) in Oligospermic Males: A Pilot Study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:571420. doi: 10.1155/2013/571420. Epub 2013 Nov 28.
- Jessica M. Gannon et al. Subtle changes in thyroid indices during a placebo-controlled study of an extract of Withania somnifera in persons with bipolar disorder. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2014 Oct-Dec; 5(4): 241–245.
- Evaluation of the analgesic activity of standardized aqueous extract of Withania somnifera in healthy human volunteers using hot air pain model. P.Nalini, K.Manjunath, N., K.Sunil Kumar Reddy, P.Usharani. Research Journal of Life Sciences (May 2013), Vol. 01, Issue 02, pp. 1‐6.
- Mansi B. Modi et al. Clinical evaluation of Ashokarishta, Ashwagandha Churna and Praval Pishti in the management of menopausal syndrome. Ayu. 2012 Oct-Dec; 33(4): 511–516
- Sanjeeda Parven et al.TESTO INDUCED OVULATION SUCCESSFULLY IN WOMEN OF POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME. Indo-American Journal of Pharmaceutical Research 2015